Based in Sheffield, at the heart of the UK’s steel industry, Macalloy’s roots can be traced back 100 years.
In 1921, McCalls and Company Limited was founded by TH McCall, Edwin Llwewllyn Raworth and CW Hamilton in a stock yard on Queens Street, Sheffield. They supplied steel rods and bars which were in high demand for the expanding concrete trade. The company grew very quickly and expanded into supplying straight or bent rods and bars in cut lengths.
In 1927, as demand grew, the company moved to the Railway Engineering Sheds at Nunnery Lane, Sheffield.
The company connected with United Strip Bar Mills and Templeborough Rolling Mills, sourcing rods in coil. The Templeborough Mills helped finance McCalls to relocate to a new plant at their site on Trafalgar Day – 21st October 1929. This move enabled the company to manufacture more diameters of bars, which were required for the dynamic construction industry.
Over the next two decades, McCalls and Company Ltd expanded as demand for their products increased, and in 1948 the company introduced a ‘post tension’ bar into the new ‘post tensioned’ concrete market. This was a developing trend in concrete construction and the Macalloy post tension bar proved an instant success. Sales of the post tensioning bar grew and in 1960, Macalloy’s prestressing bars were used exclusively in the 500ft central section of the Medway Bridge on the M2 motorway, which was at the time the world’s largest pre-stressed concrete span.
Later in 1962, the company became a totally-owned subsidiary of The United Steel Companies Ltd (which in 1968 was nationalised to become British Steel). In 1965, they expanded into larger premises at the former Yorkshire Engineering Company Ltd factory at Meadowhall Road, Sheffield. In 1966, the Meadowhall site underwent a major refurbishment, increasing production to 2,500 tonnes per week and installing two new continuous tracks to support new electric cranes, giving complete handling coverage over the whole area.
In 1975, the company was purchased by ASW Allied Steel and Wire Ltd, itself a buy out from the Tremorfa Steel works in Cardiff. The company then moved again to larger facilities in Hawke Street in Sheffield, enabling McCalls to advance and create new products including a new architectural Tension Structures range.
Growth into worldwide markets developed in the 1990s under ASW and trading as McCalls Special Products Ltd. A few years later ASW acquired a French company, Arteon SA, which extended distribution through Europe and expansion into Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
Construction in the Asian markets began to boom at this time and Macalloy’s post tension systems, tie bars and architectural ties were used extensively in major large-scale projects in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan and the Philippines.
In recognition of the company’s achievements, Macalloy were awarded the Queens Award for Export in 1996. At the time, exports accounted for 65% of the company’s productivity.
In 2003, the company moved back into private ownership following a MBO headed by the current Managing Director Peter Hoy, and in 2006 the company commissioned a purpose-built factory on the Old Dinnington Colliery site where it remains today.
Macalloy now trades from purpose-built facilities in Dinnington, Sheffield. This move enabled the company to increase capacity and continue to supply the highest quality products, including:
- Tension structures
- Facade engineering
- Ground engineering
- Site services – equipment, training and hire
Over the years, Macalloy has developed strong business partnerships, providing consulting engineers and architects with a comprehensive choice of products and services.
Our supply chain continues to expand via an international network of Macalloy agents and distributors, ensuring continued growth in the global market.
Macalloy products are used throughout the construction industry and have been featured in many prestigious global products including four of the Russian World Cup Stadiums, the 7-star Burj Al-Arab Hotel, Dubai, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore and Jubilee Bridge, London.
“Whilst our company has grown over the years, our core values have remained the same. We’ve always been committed to providing excellent customer service and high-quality products. I am proud of our team’s enthusiasm and willingness to evolve to meet the ever-changing needs of the construction industry.”
Peter Hoy – Managing Director
Would you like to discuss a project?
+44 (0)1909 519 200
Give us a call or use the live chat to get a quick answer.